Can I be honest? I ate WAY too much this holiday season. It’s hard to say no to all those cakes, pies, and cookies, am I right? So what can we do? In addition to Adventure Tails, a great way to get exercise and liberate a shelter pet for some fun, I have been trying some new things in my kitchen to feel healthier.
Let me introduce you to a re-imagined classic: Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad! Chickpeas boast an array of health benefits, including Fiber, Protein, Folate, and Iron. One study even found that “individuals who ate an average of 104 grams of chickpeas daily for 12 weeks reported feeling fuller and eating less junk food.” (Murty, CM, Pittaway, JK, Ball, MJ. (2010) Chickpea Supplementation in an Australian Diet Affects Food Choice. US National Library of Medicine.)
I don’t know about you, but eating less junk food sounds pretty good right about now. Whether you want to eat a bit healthier, try Meatless Monday, or if vegan is already your thing, this recipe is delicious!
– Cait Daly
Executive Director of the Fredericksburg SPCA
Vegan Chickpea “Tuna” Salad
- 14-oz can of salt-free chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup vegan mayo (Just Mayo is my favorite brand) OR ¼ cup + 2 tbsp mashed avocado
- 1 tbsp dijon or whole grain mustard
- 1½ tbsp ume plum vinegar (add a splash more if you are using avocado instead of mayo)
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced green onion or red onion or shallot
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (more to taste) or crushed chili flakes
- 4 leaves romaine or kale
- seasoned nori, or unseasoned
- toasted bread
- Place the chickpeas, Just mayo, mustard, ume vinegar, celery seeds, celery, onion, black pepper, and cayenne pepper into a food processor.
- Pulse a few times until incorporated and minced. Careful not to over-blend. You shouldn’t be pulsing more than 20 seconds.
- Serve over toast with romaine lettuce and nori.